Bagru Block Printing
“Bagru”- a small town situated at a distance of 30 kilometers from Jaipur, Rajasthan is famous for its block printing.
Bagru printing is one of the traditional techniques of printing with natural colors and wooden blocks. It’s home to the Chhipa community who have been practicing this unique style of printing for around 400 years. Consequently generation after generation of families are keeping the art of Rajasthani block printing alive.
Our workshop connects you to the local artisans where you get to interact with their families. Also we will explore their lifestyles besides dwelling into some light conversations. Amidst this cultural know how we will relish the delectable fritters and some tea without which the Indian affability is incomplete.
The whole process comprises of many steps to print a piece of cloth. From washing the cloth to get rid of impurities to boiling it after being printed and sun drying. Above all we will get the opportunity to visit the families of Chhipa community who are a gracious host and see their determination and enthusiasm into this practice. Certainly it is a detailed process which require lot of skillfulness, time and tolerance power of artisan .
Above all the women dressed in vibrant and colorful rajasthani attires creating beautiful designs on contrasting indigo background is a treat to watch. The final outcome is a timeless beauty , and every garment from this fabric is an illustration of a unique handcraft.
- Get in touch with your creative side by trying your hand in beautiful block printing designs.
- Weave your way through the town and indulge in memorable and unforgetful interactions.
- Take along with you your personally crafted designs as a souvenir of this workshop .
- Rejoice the high tea together with some chit-chat sessions with the locals.
- The purpose of this workshop is not just to understand the block printing process but to seize the warmth and affection of the artisans.